I really struggle to sit through a movie without eating some form of snacky snack, even when I read or sit at my desk at work. Actually whatever time, I like a good nibble. This does however, pose a problem regarding what grazeable product I can eat without feeling too guilty about the crap content. Rummaging around one day, pre-movie, I came across a lonely tin of chickpeas…and an oven. The rest is history. For a lighter in taste and texture option try a tin of green lentils which doesn’t take so long to cook either.
Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
1 (400g) tin of chickpeas, drained
2 tsp olive oil
½ tsp paprika/cayenne pepper (or to taste)
oregano (fresh or dried)
- Heat the oven at 200C.
- Pour the olive oil to a large roasting dish and heat up in the oven whilst it is preheating.
- Add the drained chickpeas to the hot roasting dish.
- Season to taste, I usually add sea-salt, cayenne pepper and oregano and mix thoroughly.
- Pop into the oven for 40-45mins. Give the chickpeas a good shake at least once half-way through cooking and try a chickpea to see if more salt etc needs to be added.
- When done, you’ll find the humble chickpea transformed into a beautifully crunchy and super tasty ultimate snack.
- With this recipe you can be as creative as you like, try different herbs and spices or even use flavoured olive oil.
The world is your chickpea.